skip to main content
Loading Icon
Online Enrollment Notice

Parents FAQ

6 months ago

Frequently Asked Questions for Parents

How many schools are in the Yucaipa-Calimesa district?

The district includes six elementary schools, two middle schools, one high school (9-12), one continuation high school, one community day school, and one charter school (K-8). Also, Yucaipa Adult School currently serves more than 1,000 students 18 years of age or older.


Who is the Board of Education and what does it do?



The Yucaipa-Calimesa Joint Unified School District Board of Education consists of five board members who represent the entire community. Board members are elected to four-year terms. The board elects one member to serve as president for one year beginning each December. The president is the board's presiding officer, with the clerk of the board serving in this capacity in the president's absence.  The Board of Education also serves as the governing Board for Competitive Edge Charter Academy (CECA).

The governing board of the school district holds regular meetings to direct the district's educational programs, make required decisions, and establish policy for the district.

All regular meetings of the Board of Education are open to the public in accordance with State law. Meetings are held on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the board room at 12797 Third Street in Yucaipa, California, unless otherwise stated.  Regular CECA Board meetings are held prior to the YCJUSD Board meetings at 5:00 p.m. unless otherwise posted.

Agendas for Board of Education meetings are posted on the web site, and minutes of all board meetings and summaries of important actions are available to the public upon request.


Who is the Superintendent of schools and what does he/she do?



The local superintendent of schools, Cali Binks, is the educational advisor and executive officer of the Board of Education. It is the superintendent's responsibility to implement board policy and manage the day-to-day operations of the school district. Duties include the development of curriculum, delivery of instruction, making of recommendations regarding personnel, and preparation of the school budget. The superintendent has three assistant superintendents: one for educational services; one for human resources, and one for business services.


Who are the teachers and how are they qualified to teach my child?



The district has approximately 9,800 students, 450 certificated staff members (teachers, counselors, and certificated administration) and 301 classified staff members (support personnel and classified managers). With approximately 800 employees, the school district is the largest employer in the Yucaipa Valley.

The goal of the district is to provide highly qualified teachers for all students. Teachers are recruited locally, throughout California and throughout the United States.

During their tenure with the district, opportunities are provided for teachers to enhance their skills through staff development. Teachers are encouraged to continue their formal education by providing salary increments for additional degrees and salary increases are also based upon longevity.

Mentor teachers are selected by their peers to provide additional support to teachers by providing in-class assistance as well as development of curriculum.

What is the PTSA and what do they do?



The Yucaipa-Calimesa Joint Unified School District has wonderful parent and community support. A major vehicle for that support is the Parent-Teachers Association (PTA). The PTAs work tirelessly to ensure that students have a full range of opportunities and experiences that make school special and memorable. The PTA also facilitates parent volunteer programs, parent education and generally offer assistance whenever and wherever needed.


Is transportation provided for YCJUSD students? 


The district provides school bus transportation privileges for certain pupils, to and from the schools in the district, subject to the requirements as set forth in Board Policy and Administrative Regulations.

TK/Kindergarten Registration

4 months ago

Related image

Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten

Registration Information


Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten registration packets for the 2020-2021 school year will be accepted beginning March 2, 2020, for Calimesa, Chapman Heights, Dunlap, Ridgeview, Valley, and Wildwood Elementary Schools.  The anticipated start date of the 2020-2021 school year is August 13, 2020.  Kindergarten registration forms for Competitive Edge Charter School (CECA) have been accepted through a separate registration process.
Parents can register their students for kindergarten or TK using our Aeries Online Enrollment portal. Upon the reopening of our school offices, parents will be contacted by the school to come in and complete the registration process by showing verification of the child's age, residency, immunization, and parents identification.
Kindergarten information | Children must be five years or older on or before September 1, 2020, to be eligible for school registration.  

TK information | Children who turn five years of age on or between September 2 and December 2, 2020, are eligible for the Transitional Kindergarten program.  Students who turn five years old after December 2, but before the last day of the school year will be admitted to transitional kindergarten on a space-available basis, with priority given to older students. Space availability will be determined at the start of the school year.

Parents must present proof of the child's age to register their children. Evidence of the child's age may include:
             1. A certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder 
                 certifying the date of birth
             2. A duly attested baptism certificate
             3. A passport
             4. When none of the above documents are obtainable, an affidavit of the parent/guardian
             5. Other means prescribed by the Board 

Proof of residency is required for registration. Evidence of residency may be established by documentation showing the name and address of the parent/guardian within the YCJUSD district boundaries, including any of the following:
             1. A utility service contract, statement, or payment receipt(water, gas, electric or trash)
             2. Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipt
             3. Paystub
             4. Property Tax Payment Receipt
             5. Voter registration
             6. Correspondence from a government agency
Parents also need to bring records of their student's past immunizations, serious diseases and injuries. California state law requires students entering Kindergarten to complete immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, measles (rubella and rubeola), mumps, hepatitis B, and varicella.
Parents may take their children to the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health Clinic at 351 N. Mt. View, San Bernardino.  Immunizations to satisfy all state requirements will be available for $10. The telephone number is (800) 722-4777. Children without required immunizations cannot be registered.
All first-graders should have a physical examination completed prior to the first day of school.  A physical administered within 18 months prior to the first day of school for first graders will be accepted.
Students from families without health insurance, or who have Medi-cal, can get physicals through the San Bernardino County Health Department. Information can be obtained by telephoning (800) 880-5305.
For further information call the Yucaipa-Calimesa Joint Unified School District at (909) 797-0174 or the school site closest to you.
Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of the elementary schools serving students in the Yucaipa-Calimesa Joint Unified School District are:

Calimesa Elementary School

13523 Second Street

(909) 790-8570

Chapman Heights Elementary School   

33692 Cramer Road

(909) 790-8080

Dunlap Elementary School              

32870 Avenue E                   

(909) 797-5171

Ridgeview Elementary School

11021 Sunnyside Drive

(909) 790-3270

Valley Elementary School

12333 Eighth Street

(909) 797-1125

Wildwood Elementary School

35972 Susan Street

(909) 790-8521

                                                   Información de Inscripción 
                                         para Kinder Transicional y Kinder

Los formularios de inscripción para Kinder Transicional (TK) y Kinder para el año escolar 2020-2021 serán aceptados a partir del 2 de marzo de 2020 para las escuelas primarias Calimesa, Chapman Heights, Dunlap, Ridgeview, Valley y Wildwood. La fecha de inicio anticipada para el año escolar 2020-2021 es el 13 de agosto de 2020. Los formularios de inscripción de kinder para Competitive Edge Charter Academy (CECA) han sido aceptados a través de un proceso de inscripción separado. 

Los padres pueden registrar a sus estudiantes para el Kinder o TK utilizando nuestro portal de inscripción en línea Aeries. Tras la reapertura de nuestras oficinas escolares, la escuela se pondrá en contacto con los padres para que ingresen y completen el proceso de registro al mostrar la verificación de la edad del niño, la residencia, las vacunas y la identificación de los padres.

Información de Kinder | Los niños de kinder deberan tener cinco años o más el 1º de septiembre de 2020 o antes, para ser elegibles para la inscripción escolar. 

Información de Kinder Transicional | Los niños que cumplan cinco años de edad entre el 2 de septiembre y el 2 de diciembre de 2020, son elegibles para el programa de Kinder Transicional.  Los estudiantes que cumplan cinco años de edad después de diciembre 2, pero antes del último día del ciclo escolar serán admitidos al kínder transicional según el espacio disponible, otorgando prioridad a estudiantes mayores.
La disponibilidad de espacio se determinará al comienzo del ciclo escolar.

Los padres deben presentar prueba de la edad del niño para registrar a sus hijos. La evidencia de la edad del niño puede incluir:

             1. Una copia certificada de un certificado de nacimiento o una declaración del registrador local o del                   registrador del condado que certifique la fecha de nacimiento      
             2. Un certificado de bautismo debidamente atestiguado             
             3. Un pasaporte            
             4. Cuando no se pueda obtener ninguno de los documentos anteriores, una declaración jurada del                     padre/tutor 
             5. Otros medios prescritos por la Junta

Se requiere prueba de residencia para el registro. La evidencia de residencia puede establecerse mediante documentación que muestre el nombre y la dirección del padre / tutor dentro de los límites del distrito de YCJUSD, incluyendo cualquiera de los siguientes:
             1. Un contrato de servicios públicos, estado de cuenta o recibo de pago (agua, gas, electricidad o    
             2. Contrato de propiedad de alquiler, arrendamiento o recibo de pago             
             3. recibo de sueldo             
             4. Recibo de pago de impuestos a la propiedad             
             5. Registro de votantes            
             6. Correspondencia de una agencia gubernamental          

Los padres también deben traer registros de las inmunizaciones pasadas de sus estudiantes, enfermedades graves y lesiones. La ley del estado de California exige que los estudiantes que ingresan al Kínder completen las vacunas contra la difteria, el tétano, la tos ferina, el polio, el sarampión (rubéola), las paperas, la hepatitis B y la varicela.

Los padres pueden llevar a sus hijos a la Clínica del Departamento de Salud Pública del Condado de San Bernardino al 351 N. Mt. Ver, San Bernardino. Las vacunas para satisfacer todos los requisitos estatales estarán disponibles por $ 10. El número de teléfono es (800) 722-4777. Los niños sin inmunizaciones requeridas no pueden registrarse. 

Todos los estudiantes de primer grado deben completar un examen físico antes del primer día de clases. Se aceptará un examen físico administrado dentro de los 18 meses anteriores al primer día de clases para los estudiantes de primer grado.

Los estudiantes de familias sin seguro médico, o que tienen Medi-cal, pueden obtener exámenes físicos a través del Departamento de Salud del Condado de San Bernardino. La información se puede obtener llamando por teléfono al (800) 880-5305.

Para más información, llame al Distrito Escolar Unificado de Yucaipa-Calimesa al (909) 797-0174 o al sitio escolar más cercano a usted.

Los nombres, direcciones y números de teléfono de las escuelas primarias que sirven a los estudiantes en el Distrito Escolar Unificado de Yucaipa-Calimesa son:

Escuela Primaria Calimesa

13523 Second Street

(909) 790-8570

Escuela Primaria Chapman Heights

33692 Cramer Road

(909) 790-8080

Escuela Primaria Dunlap

32870 Avenue E                   

(909) 797-5171

Escuela Primaria Ridgeview

11021 Sunnyside Drive

(909) 790-3270

Escuela Primaria Valley

12333 Eighth Street

(909) 797-1125

Escuela Primaria Wildwood

35972 Susan Street

(909) 790-8521